|Serving up Thanksgiving dinner in our seminary studio apartment (circa 2008)!|
I can't believe Thanksgiving is next week already! I need to buy a turkey before they are all sold out (I'm really good at waiting until the last minute and then wondering where all the turkeys went)! This year will be a small get together at our house, just the three of us plus my dad-in-law (mom-in-law is working all day). I have been planning the menu with our favorites and looking for deals on the essentials, with a goal to spend under $20 for the ingredients. Here's my shopping plan so far:
- buy a 10-12 lb. Jennie-O turkey at King Soopers (Colorado grocery chain, affiliated with Kroger) for $7... this seems like a good price to me, what do you think?
- head over to Walgreens to pick up sparkling grape juice for $1.50 each (thanks Crystal)
- find a recipe online for dairy-free green bean casserole (using Delmonte green beans I got last week for $.49 can)
- buy yams and marshmallows for Jesse's favorite side dish... sweet potato casserole! I saw yams on sale for $1.99, I think at King Soopers, this week... need to double check.
- buy apples for homemade apple pies (making two), yum.
I think that's everything. I might make mashed potatoes, too, as we have a lot of potatoes already in our fridge. Rolls and root beer are being provided by the dad-in-law. :)
What are you doing for your Thanksgiving meal? Any good deals or tips I should know about?