Apple Pie with Crumb Topping
Filling (makes about 5 pies)
18 cups thinly sliced apples
3 tbsp. lemon juice
4 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup flour
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice, set aside.
2. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a separate bowl.
3. Coat the apples with the sugar mixture.
Add filling to your pie crusts (note: I cheated and bought Pillsbury pie crust since I was making 5 pies. Plus, Pillsbury crusts are dairy, egg, and nut free)!
Brown Sugar Crumb Topping (per pie)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp. margarine, chilled
1. Mix the ingredients together until crumbly.
2. Sprinkle over pie filling.
3. Bake pie for 40-50 minutes at 400 degrees, until crust is golden brown and pie is bubbly (also, cover the crust with foil until the last 10 minutes of baking).
Since I used Pillsbury pie crust, I'd love to hear your favorite homemade recipes for next time I try this! I don't really make pies that often, but I think I would like to start attempting them more.
I made five pies and ended up giving away three. So far, these pies with crumb toppings have had rave reviews!