Our zucchini plants are really starting to produce a lot of zucchinis (it's amazing how big a zucchini can get in a couple days)! I've been roasting or sauteeing zucchini for Jesse on day #2 of our rotation diet, as well as freezing grated zucchini for future baking days. This zucchini muffin recipe uses 4 cups of grated zucchini for 24 muffins, so it is a perfect recipe to use up some zucchini before it goes bad (and my four year old, who refuses to eat roasted/sauteed zucchini, devoured these). And, of course, giving away zucchini to friends and neighbors is another fun way to bless others and not waste the fruit of your labors!
Homemade zucchini chocolate chip muffins (gluten, egg, nut, dairy-free)
Yields 24 muffins
3 cups rice flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
4 eggs (or use flax seed substitute for 4 eggs)
1 cup safflower oil (or other preferred oil)
4 cups finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
3. Make your egg substitute if using flax seed. In another bowl, combine egg and oil.
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just moistened.
5. Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips (can also use cranberries, raisins, or walnuts)
6. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners. Fill three-fourths with batter and bake for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.